Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thankfulness Day 24

Today is chelation day in the Stallworth house. Our schedule is Tu/F. It's routine and pretty painless. The boys don't seem to appreciate a suppository being inserted into their "poopers", but it's over and done with in less than 10 seconds and they are about their business. I can actually envision in my head this medication surging through their little bodies and picking up, like a magnet, all the metals embedded in their tissues. I am thankful that we are able to do this treatment and I am thankful for the doctors that are thinking "out of the box" and not sweeping treatments for autism under the rug.

I read a couple interesting articles over the past couple of days. One is autism related to chemical exposure and the other is the prevalence of autism in Somali immigrant children. It seems like the CDC is backing off it's "autism is purely genetic" mantra. Hopefully this will open the doors to more research into more of a genetic predisposition/environmental connection.

No comments: