My daughter has always been a strong-willed, bright, precocious child. She works hard to acquire new skills. She's a devoted friend to those lucky enough to know her. She is known at school as the girl who is nice to everyone and never says anything bad about anyone. Why then, the 8th grade bully had to pick her out of the crowd, I have no idea. But, because of Taylor's kindness and because of her lack of fear, the tide is starting to turn on this bully. People are instead getting mad at her for being mean and saying rude things to Taylor. Others are coming to Taylor's rescue and telling this miscreant to "knock it off." Last night some schoolmates saw a rude comment this girl left Taylor and they are angry. Taylor told me, "I don't care what "the bully" says, but everyone else is getting mad at her. I just don't know why she has to be so mean." I went on to have the discussion with her that usually people who are mean to others do that because they are really unhappy with themselves and do it to make themselves feel better. You know, that talk. Probably a talk we all heard in our middle school years. I think one of Taylor's best buddies summed it up the best: "I'd rather have no friends than have mean friends." Isn't that the truth! That's a lot of wisdom coming from the mouth of a 13 year old. So, today I am thankful for a daughter who doesn't shrink from the mouth of a bully. I'm happy she knows who she is and what she stands for. I'm very thankful that she is winning hearts with kindness and not trying to impress with meanness. Hang in there, my dear daughter, for fools are known to self-destruct.
Don and I have been happily married for 16 years and have 4 wonderful children. Christ is the center of our home and we strive to honor Him each and every day! We hope you enjoy your stay :o)
Monday, November 17, 2008
Thankfulness Day 16
My daughter has always been a strong-willed, bright, precocious child. She works hard to acquire new skills. She's a devoted friend to those lucky enough to know her. She is known at school as the girl who is nice to everyone and never says anything bad about anyone. Why then, the 8th grade bully had to pick her out of the crowd, I have no idea. But, because of Taylor's kindness and because of her lack of fear, the tide is starting to turn on this bully. People are instead getting mad at her for being mean and saying rude things to Taylor. Others are coming to Taylor's rescue and telling this miscreant to "knock it off." Last night some schoolmates saw a rude comment this girl left Taylor and they are angry. Taylor told me, "I don't care what "the bully" says, but everyone else is getting mad at her. I just don't know why she has to be so mean." I went on to have the discussion with her that usually people who are mean to others do that because they are really unhappy with themselves and do it to make themselves feel better. You know, that talk. Probably a talk we all heard in our middle school years. I think one of Taylor's best buddies summed it up the best: "I'd rather have no friends than have mean friends." Isn't that the truth! That's a lot of wisdom coming from the mouth of a 13 year old. So, today I am thankful for a daughter who doesn't shrink from the mouth of a bully. I'm happy she knows who she is and what she stands for. I'm very thankful that she is winning hearts with kindness and not trying to impress with meanness. Hang in there, my dear daughter, for fools are known to self-destruct.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Good for her. Man is this age hard. I am thankful for Taylor, as is someone else I know.
Post a Comment