Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Thankfulness Day 17

This morning while running the dog to her grooming appointment, I saw something that tore at my heart. On my route I drive through old downtown Buford. Along the way are occassional homeless people. Today, as I was approaching a stop sign, I saw an obviously homeless young couple. Not completely dishevled, but definitely not "put together." He was tall, curly blonde hair, wearing a backpack and leading the way. She stuggled to keep up behind him, pulling a piece of luggage on wheels. It was obvious to me that these weren't your average stumbling, drunk homeless people. I looked at the temperature on my dash: 34 degrees. I wondered where they had spend the night and if they were able to keep somewhat warm.

We have a foster family at our church that recently took in a 3 month old infant girl and an 18 month old toddler boy. They happily walked them around at our fall festival, introducing them proudly to everyone who crossed their path. These children were living in a car before being placed into the care of this wonderful family. In.a.car. The infant girl has obvious physical deformities from spending the first three months of her life living in an infant seat: her back curves irregularly, her head has molded wrong. When I heard their story, the tears just wouldn't stop flowing. These precious children had been living in a car with such an uncertain future. They weren't able to run and play and stretch their legs and bodies like other children. I am thankful to these families that open their homes to needy children. I am thankful for my own home. After seeing the couple this morning I begged God to never, EVER let me take it for granted.

No comments: