Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Twinkle Toes!

Taylor and Gramma Mary
Seven years ago Taylor performed in her first dance recital. Just a recent kindergarten graduate, she was a sweet princess ballerina with dreams of being a big girl ballerina dancing on her toes. I'm sure that dream seemed so far away, but that dream came true this weekend. My "growing-up-way-too-fast-for-me" daughter performed in 5 recitals this weekend. In each show she did a number on pointe. For the first time ever, my favorite ballerina danced on her toes in front of hundreds of people. She was beautiful and brilliant. A backstage mom told me that as our "big" girls were going on for their number a group of little bitty girls, much like Tay 7 years ago, were exiting the stage. Their teacher was hurrying them off to get them out of the way. At that point the dance director stepped in and said, "No, no! They need to stay and watch these girls dance. You see, girls, if you practice really, really hard, someday you'll be able to dance on your toes just like these girls. This is their first time dancing on pointe." To realize Taylor's dance training has come full circle brings a lump to my throat. She's now the teenager that the little girls look up to. But, she'll always be a little girl in my heart!



Sorry for the poor quality photo. I shot it from the balcony without a flash. They were confiscating cameras at the civic center, so I had no choice but to be as discreet as possible. Taylor is the ballerina closest to center.

1 comment:

Chaotic Joy said...

Beautiful girl! That's a great picture of her and Mary.

I am glad you posted the picture of her from the performance so I can show Shane. I think it turned out very well actually, all things considering. A flash wouldn't have helped you from that distance anyway.