Tuesday, April 29, 2008

We have a word!!!!

I am SO excited! Today during occupational therapy Brett was playing with an orange maraca and the OT kept repeating "orange maraca." Then, it happened...Brett said or-ran. My jaw hit the floor and the OT turned and smiled at me. I said, "Oh my gosh, he just said orange." I really wanted her to confirm that she heard what I just heard. She replied, "He sure did, he said orange!" I could have cried I was so excited! For a brief few seconds his little impulses in his brain connected just right to let a word come out. Of course we tried to get him to say it the rest of the day without success, but at least I know he CAN do it. We just have to continue to work to pull it out. Hallelujah! God knew I needed this reassurance right now!

Way to go, buddy!

4 comments:

Chaotic Joy said...

Oh PRAISE GOD! Just tonight we were praying for them and Shane told me he thought you guys were getting discouraged. And what a word... Orange! We'll keep praying that they come quickly now.

Oh, and that shot of him is fantastic by the way. I just love his little mischievous expression.

RAY AND TINA said...

WOOHOO!!!! THAT IS GREAT!!! I AM SO HAPPY FOR YALL. I CAN'T EVEN IMAGINE THE JOY THAT ONE WORD BROUGHT TO YOU. THAT'S JUST THE BEGINING. I JUST KNOW GOD HAS SO MUCH MORE IN STORE FOR THOSE BOYS. I BELIEVE THEY ARE GOING TO GROW UP TO BE EXCEPTIONAL MEN ONE DAY. PRAYER IS SUCH A WONDERFUL TOOL GOD GAVE US AND SO MANY WONDERFUL THINGS HAPPEN WHEN WE JUST PRAY AND GIVE IT ALL OVER TO GOD. WE LOVE YALL!!!!

Jessica said...

What a great feeling! To finally hear your babies speak is so wonderful. I'm glad you were there to hear it. Orange is not an easy word to form either.
Ask the boys OT about a PECS (Picture Exchange Communication System) book for them. It really helped take the frustration of not being able to communicate away. Within a month of using it, Wes started saying new words regularly. It can't hurt to try.

VoiceInTheWilderness said...

What a blessing! You've waited so long- I pray that more and more words follow.