Thursday, April 03, 2008

A Pet Peeve

Ok, so there might be some pun intended. It really irks me when people don't take care of their pets. I'm not talking about getting the animal chemo for cancer, major surgeries, etc. I'm talking about the small stuff: annual exam/shots, food, water, necessary preventatives. We just got our foster doggie back from the vet. She is undergoing heartworm treatment and received her first of two shots yesterday. She is currently very sore and very lethargic and definitely not out of the woods yet. For the next month she must be pretty sedentary or she runs the risk of throwing an embolism or even dying. All of this could have been prevented if her owner would have taken the time once a month to give her heartworm medicine. My dog loves the stuff. She thinks it's a treat. Instead of a treat every month, Rory is now having to suffer for a whole month. No romps in the yard, very limited stairs, short leash walks only, no playing. It really does stink. I never knew how bad heartworms could be for dogs, but now that I know, I'll never even be a day late with Sassy's medicine. It's just not worth the risk when it's so easy to prevent. Here's to a full recovery!

2 comments:

Chaotic Joy said...

Ouch. I am so bad at remembering to give Beamer her medicine. Going to go do it now. :)

At least the dog has you to help her get better. I know she is supposed to be a foster-puppy, but do you think your family has a new pet? She seems great.

Jessica said...

Ahem sister! Pets are no different from children. They depend on people to keep them healthy and meet their needs. I hope the previous owner is given some repercussions for what that poor baby is going through.