Sunday, March 30, 2008

Bravery and healing


I have to say I don't think I've ever been as proud of my daughter as I was Friday night. Not that I've never been proud of her, of course I am almost constantly proud of the wonderful young lady that she is, but this was a shining moment. Every year in ballet her school does what's called "Performance Awards." For this, they practice a few dances for several months and then they fly a judge in from VA to evaluate them. They are awarded bronze, silver, or gold. In each of these is a "distinction" level which means that they ALMOST did good enough to reach the next level. This performance was to be on the day of the infamous tornadoes here in GA. We got to the church, spent an hour in the basement because of tornado warnings, then the event was cancelled. Make-up day was this past Friday. Unfortunately, Taylor began running a fever after she got home from dance practice Thursday night. All the way to the tune of 104 degrees! A trip to the dr. Friday am revealed strep throat. BUMMER! I talked with her dance school director because Taylor was determined to do her performance regardless of the way she felt. So, to the event she trudged, mask in hand (too bad for her mom was a nurse) to wear backstage so she wouldn't spread her germs. She did her performance and left immediately. She wasn't able to attend the awards ceremony at the end. One of our carpool buddies called to inform Taylor she received a gold medal! This is a step up from the silver with distinction she got last year. I cannot believe the strength and fortitude she demonstrated getting up there dancing sick when I know she wanted to crawl in bed and sleep. I am proud of her strength and determination! I think she felt fortunate just to have strep throat because Thursday night at dance our other carpool buddy and one of Taylor's best friends fell at dance and tore ligaments in her knee. Her friend will be out of dance for 6 months as she is having reconstructive knee surgery on Monday. Although she didn't feel good, she realized it could be worse and she could be rendered unable to dance at all!

Taylor has healed and we'll be praying for the healing of her friend Avery as well. We also have a new pet project in our house. A sweet Golden retriever girl is taking up temporary residence in our house while she heals from a skin infection, ear infection, and heartworms. No one wants a heartworm positive dog, but leave it to us to take the animals in that no one else will take! She is a sweet girl who had a litter of pups, weaned them, then was put out by her owners. How nice! She was spayed on Wednesday and came to us yesterday. She is so calm and fabulous with the children. The cats aren't too sure of her. Sassy has grumbled at her curiosity a few times. As large as she is, you hardly know she's here because she's so quiet. She starts heartworm treatment on Wednesday and will have to stay a night or two at the vet. Then, she has to be "quiet" for 60 days. No long walks. Definitely know running. No up and down stairs a zillion times a day. Just short walks to do her business. They don't want to stress her heart during this healing time because it really could kill her. They've only lost one dog during this treatment and he was an elderly dog. Please don't let her be the second! We want her to heal and go onto live a happy, healthy life.



****************************************************************************

Speaking of healing (warning-not for those who can't handle slightly yucky), Don crashed into another player while playing flag football today and did this:



Ouch! Honestly, if I hadn't sustained a broken nose and concussion playing flag football myself, with as many injuries my husband and his comrades have sustained, I'd swear they're playing full tackle football!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm joohwee. I chanced upon your blog while I was blog hopping. I really hope the dog can get through this! (: I hope your family will be happy forever. :D

Jessica said...

Way to go Taylor. You must be so proud of yourself. Congrats on your gold medal and I'm glad you're feeling better.

I'll keep the sweet dog in my prayers. Your family has such a big heart and I'm sure she appreciates your love. Sending her lots of get well vibes.