The boys saw Dr. Sloan yesterday. Their ATEC (Autism Treatment Evaluation Checklist) scores continue to improve and we're hoping that trend continues as we move onto our new phase: chelation. This week they are doing their "chelation challenge" test which involves giving them agents that unbind the metals from the cells in their body. Most often these metals accumulate in the brain itself. Yesterday they each got three sprays of "metal free" three times. Today-Friday they get three sprays once a day. On Thursday they will take another chelating agent, DMSA, and then on Friday we'll collect the poop, send it to the lab and see what metals we're dealing with. The agent they'll use for their actual therapy will depend largely on what metals are found in the challenge test. They also started on topical B-12 and topical Glutathione. The glutathione is giving them a rash, so I'm holding off on it until I find out what's up with that. The topical meds are obviously a cinch to give. I thought the spray would be as well, but as usual, things always look much easier on paper. Brett fought at first, then finally surrendered. Now he just pops his mouth open and lets me spray it in. Blake is still a turkey. He opens his mouth for literally a second and a half and then closes it and turns his head. You have to be lightening fast to get the spray in his mouth. A couple sprays actually landed on his cheek yesterday. He doesn't holler about it anymore either because he figured out that I'll just spray it in while he hollers. So now, he just tries to clamp his mouth shut. Somehow I've managed to pry his mouth open and get the spray in. They never make anything easy on their Mommy! Someday I will enjoy reminding them of that :o)
Our daily anti-autism arsenal:
2 comments:
It's great to read an update. I'm so glad you all are making progress. Praise God. I'm passing a link to your site onto an aquaintance w/ a recently diagnosed child.
Matthew wouldn't do the spray (we tried PCA-Rx) so I ended up spraying it on his pacifier! Then I called the company and the rep told me I could spray it in his ears (yuck) or the inside of his wrists so I did a wrist/paci combo. We did pull some metals (lead, nickel, etc) but nothing too exciting. I just sent ooff his blood, stool, and urine tests after 4 rounds on TD DMSA so we'll see what that pulled.
Post a Comment