The boys have been better monkeys today. I think some of their problem was that I was out of their fish oils for a few days because I didn't re-order fast enough. I will not let that happen again. They both became artists this week. For the first time ever I actually got them to hold crayons and color. I know this is no big feat for neuro-typical 2 year olds, but it made this Momma proud. So everyday we have a new, fun activity to do: color pictures. That's one of the toughest issues with autism: finding activities they can and WILL do. When Taylor was little, we'd do crafts, pretend, etc. all day long. I LOVE playing, but that is a bit more difficult with the boys. Slowly they are starting to "get it" and finding new activities to enjoy is becoming easier.
In addition, I highly recommend everyone read this book:

The things Jenny is doing speaking out for autistic children and their families is remarkable. I actually recommend both her books so that people can start to learn about autism and the struggles, strains, and emotional pain the families feel. With the rates of occurence going up and up and up, you ARE going to know someone affected by it-if not now, then someday. The fact that the AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) has fallen asleep at the wheel in regards to the possible involvement of vaccines as a cause of some cases of autism and their lack of interest in the benefit of biomedical treatment of autism is just something I can't wrap my nurse's brain around. These are the people who are "higher thinkers." They are the ones who are supposed to make us well. These doctors have almost totally let down autistic children and their families. I say "almost" because there are a small percentage of these physicians who are coming to the rescue. There are some that are saying, "hmmm, there is something to this." Just like there might be something to the toxic dose of aluminum in an infant being 20mcg and the first dose of Hep. B vaccine given on these precious babies first day of life having 250mcg's in it. Hmmmm...how about I give my boys more than 12 times the dose of Motrin and just see what happens? They might die (and likely would without emergency treatment), and I'd probably go to jail, that's what would happen. As a country, we have to insist a more "open book" policy in regards to the ingredients of vaccines. To me, it's just nuts what they are getting away with. I'm not an anti-vaccine person at all, but we HAVE to make them safer for all children!
5 comments:
Right there with ya sister!! It is sad when profit goes before our children. That is why I am so greatful for the DAN Doctors, most of them influenced by a personal situation that makes it important for them to find a solution. Biomedical might not be mainstream but maybe that's a good thing!! I do love Jenny's first book and can't wait to read this one! I agree that people who know someone with Autism should read her as well.
I watched Oprah this week and thought of you. I wanted to call you and ask your opinion. You are the biggest mama warrior I know. And I mean it.
Love you. And your boys. Yay for coloring.
So sorry to hear about your Nana. Must be very hard for you all.
Holding and colouring! Excellent progress. And opens up new activities as you say!
And thank you for your beautiful photos that you sent me for my new blog. :)
Sorry to hear about your Nana..I had a "Nana" too that passed at the same age.
JM is my hero...Louder Than Words was my autism bible and lead me to the treatments that we are using now.
This epidemic must be stopped!
i agree with you so completely. (((hugs))) for your journey and lets meet up sometime.
Post a Comment