One thing I've definitely noticed about having two special needs children is that the little things in life really do mean the most. Some days I can't even remember all the little things the boys have done that day to make me smile. So today I will record some of these so I don't forget. Our day started out a bit rough because they had speech today and they both have colds. They usually don't like speech very much and being ill kinda added to the dislike factor. Brett had a difficult session. Blake did MUCH better (but he is feeling better than his brother). He tried to imitate the therapist lots and even pointed "down" like she did. She had already packed up to leave and was just conversing a bit more with him when he did it. She exclaimed, "oh, I need to write that down" and ripped her chart back out and scribbled it in her entry for the day. And, even though I didn't think he got anything out of speech today, Brett played with the toy our therapist so graciously left with us as to not cause a temper tantrum in him. He lifted it above his head as she does during therapy and attempted to say "up" and then dropped it down and attempted to say "down." He did it just like her! I was so proud. Tonight, Blake saw a cow and said what was very, very close to "moo." While watching Sesame Street, both boys started dancing with Elmo. Brett attempted to say "Elmo" while running to grab his Tickle Me Elmo (thanks for that Joy-they REALLY love Elmo and he's sure getting used a lot. They love it so much that it doesn't even annoy me!). He picked him up so happily and I said, "Give Elmo a hug." And he did! With a big, ecstatic grin on his face. These two little guys sure made Mommy very happy tonight.
Taylor is doing awesome in school. She absolutely loves it. I feel this is one of the better parenting decisions I've made in a long time, even though it was a difficult one. She's not had any transition issues and has found her perfect little spot in the student population. She's already made some great friends. I hope she finds some lifetime friends while attending Heritage. Being such a small school (only 34 in 8th grade and about 180 total in grades 6-12) they are sure to be a close-knit bunch. I'm so happy for her!
4 comments:
Awesome news all around. Allie said Taylor went on and on about how much she loves her school. That's so great!
That is great! Those boys are coming out of the fog!! Hope everyone gets well, we need to get together soon! M
It is those little things! Lovely post.
Lynn, not sure how I've missed coming over here. Your family is lovely - and another mom with twins w/special needs? Wow. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Look forward to catching up with yours.
Post a Comment