Thursday, August 07, 2008

Some BIG news!

Wow, things are moving fast around here! Today I saw some absolutely tremendous strides in the boys. Actually, even their speech therapist noticed some of these as well. Eye contact is TREMENDOUS! We had the most fun playing in the tub tonight. I even put the boys to bed almost an hour late so we could just play. It was truly reciprocal, two-way fun. I know it may sound crazy but this was pure FUN-something that I have almost never experienced with the boys before! I hope no one takes that the wrong way. I have always found joy in the boys, but this was different. Playing with them is usually a one-way street. Tonight, it wasn't. They were watching me intently and having a blast. Following tub time, we had a rowdy time jumping on the bed.

Earlier in the day, Blake was having a mini-meltdown because his favorite show was over. Lately, when they begin these tiny tantrums, I throw my hands up in disgust and say emphatically, "OOOOOHHHH, NOOOOOO!" This gets them to looks at me and give me a silly grin. Totally makes them forget what they were aggravated about. This afternoon I did this and Blake let out a "nooooo." He sounded just like me! I spun around, Don stopped what he was doing in the kitchen, and we both looked at each other with bulging eyes. I exclaimed, "Holy crap (okay maybe not the best choice of words, but it wasn't a choice, that's just what came out), he just said no!" Don replied, "He sure did." It was so cool! I looked at him and did it again and he looked at me intently and grinned his little head off. I spoke with Dr. Sloan, their DAN! doctor, today and he was extremely pleased with their progress. As he put it, "the brain fog is starting to lift." I have no doubt that our candida (yeast) cleanse is working. If the above wasn't enough evidence, Blake's chin breakout and Brett's really red, yeasty-looking hiney is evidence. Brett's never had diaper rash in his life. This is just reactions to the yeast dying off. We are continuing this treatment for 3 months (so until 10-23) and then we can test for metals and start chelation if necessary.

I will be starting my own candida cleanse in a couple days. I can tell you that Dr. Sloan has done miracles with my sinuses. I think the diet is helping, but these supplements and sprays really kicked sinus-funk butt! The biggest miracle of all is that I haven't had a headache in two weeks and I've taken Motrin only once in two weeks. Not for a headache, but before my impromptu filling on Monday morning because I'm horrified of dentist-induced tooth pain. So now, for my sinuses, I only have to do some nasal spray in the morning and at night before bed. My face has also cleared up tremendously since going GFCF. Who wants zits at age 37? Not me, but it was a reality. I'd wake up with at least one new one every morning. Now, I haven't had a new one in about a week. I'll stay GFCF just for that if necessary!

I've been asked to list some of my favorite GFCF products. Keep in mind, many of these are not soy free and many people who cut dairy also cut soy. We have chosen to just cut dairy and see how that works. So far so good. Here's my list:

Breakfast: Applegate Farms Chicken and Maple sausage
Any GFCF pancake mix
Whole Foods Morning Glory Muffins
Eggs
Van's frozen waffles w/pure maple syrup
Any GFCF cereal with Silk soymilk
Kinnikinnick English muffins
So Delicious yogurt

Lunch: Grilled/baked chicken or fish seasoned with McCormick seasonings. These are
all gluten free unles gluten is listed in bold in the ingredients.
Salad topped with a hard boiled egg
Whole Foods chicken taquitos with Pace Picante sauce used for dipping
Coleman's hot dogs
Boar's Head turkey Sandwich

Dinner: rice pasta with chicken
grilled or baked fish
fresh veggies
fresh fruit

Snacks: Glutino pretzels
Enjoy life snickerdoodle and chocolate chip cookies
Kinnikinnick KinniKritters animal cookies
Orville Redenbacher's Natural Simply Salted popcorn
Tostitos and salsa

Where I order from: www.glutenfreemall.com
www.allergygrocer.com
Both these sites have "free of" searches so you can weed out the things you need to avoid. It's a real time-saver!

5 comments:

VoiceInTheWilderness said...

That is GREAT news! You all must be thrilled! Congratulations on all your great strides!

Chaotic Joy said...

Oh I can't tell you how thrilled I am. Reading the part about you guys playing together brought tears to my eyes. I am happy to see all your hard work and dedication is starting to pay off. The boys are lucky to have you as their mama.

I am glad you are feeling better as well. Great news all the way around. ANd boy did I need some.

Figgy and The Professor said...

Lynn, I've been following this so intently and I'm overjoyed at this news. I've also been hoping you'd post some of the stuff that you eat because I'm considering trying this; just for the simple fact that it has made such a difference for you. I am so happy for you that you had that moment with the boys. (Btw, this is Heather from the multiples board |theholleranfamily|.)

M. Christensen said...

YEA Blake and Brett! I am so happy for you guys and was going around telling all my family about the breakthrough yesterday! It is truely wonderful when you have these days and I am so glad that the boys are coming out of the fog!!Melissa

RAY AND TINA said...

OH I AM SO HAPPY FOR YALL!!! THIS IS JUST THE BEGINING! I JUST KNOW THAT YOU WILL HAVE SO MANY MORE JOYOUS OCCASIONS!!! I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THOSE BOYS! I WILL CONTINUE TO PRAY FOR YALL!!! LOOKS LIKE GOD DIRECTED YOU IN THE RIGHT WAY!!! AND GOOD FOR YOU FOR LISTENING!!! LOVE YALL!!!