To say the very least, our experience last week at the autism clinic made a lasting impression. It showed me how the very least among us can get...well, the shaft. It is obvious that this clinic is for the underprivileged, the underprivileged with autism. That the facilities are actually unsafe for these desperate families makes me furious inside. Many of these families probably have no idea that there is better out there and they can demand better for their children. Maybe some don't care, but maybe some do and they don't realize they can raise their concerns.
I took it upon myself last night to compose a letter to the physician in charge of the program and supplied him with Brett's x-ray and photos of the extensive bruising to his shoulder. I want him to take me very seriously. I know we could sue and probably win a lot of money, but that would just take money from a clinic that's already seriously neglected financially. I want change. I want to make things better for the children who follow us. I want to be a voice for those who don't have a voice. God must give me the strength for this because I'm not a naturally confrontational person.
I emailed the Dr. my letter last night and he responded first thing this morning. He said I could page him today or I could wait for his call later in the day. I think I prefer to wait because I have no desire for a rushed conversation. He already thanked me for my input and stated that he can take this to the "higher-ups" and get things improved for those who come behind us. This is all I want. If I have to stand up in front of a hospital board and express my grievances, then that's what I'll do. No "challenged" child deserves an unsafe environment, nor do their families deserve to have a building and equipment that's unsatisfactory. It's not fair. Please pray for God to give me my meager voice and the strength to use it.
2 comments:
I commend you for taking a stand. I hope you will post an update and let us know how it goes.
Congratulations for finding your voice and being an advocate for other children! I'm very proud of you for not accepting that kind of treatment. Way to go Mom!
Post a Comment