While we don't know if this is what we're dealing with yet, this song struck my heart because it captures everything our family has been feeling the past few months:
Brett and Blake had their EI evaluation today and they were perfect angels. They were evaluated together with Don and I in the room. They do have delays in communication/social, cognitive, and adaptive. She said the cognitive and adaptive was scored lower than their actual ability because of the communication issues. In other words, she could see they could reason and problem solve, but to get them to do it on command is near impossible. They will have speech therapy, occupational therapy, and a special preschool instructor to work with them. Of course, the details still have to be worked out when we meet with our caseworker over the next couple of weeks. The speech therapist was great and he gave me some tips on how to work with the boys until they get into therapy. They said they see wonderful potential in our boys and gave the impression that this is all something that will greatly improve with some work and not be a life-long ordeal for them. That was a major relief! So now we meet with the developmental pediatrician next week and maybe he can assign a "word" to everything that is going on. The therapist told me today that a diagnosis will not change anything that is being done for the boys. The therapy will be tailored to them regardless of labels. Now I'm really itching to get this going so I can finally hear my boys talk!
Oh, and the best part of the evaluation was when the boys somehow loosened the speech therapist's chair. When he came back in the room and sat down, he flew backwards out of the chair onto the floor, legs flailing in the air. It was SO hard not to laugh. He found a part to his chair on the floor, apparently the part that they dismantled. He was okay, a bit embarassed I'm sure, but unhurt. Gosh, I hope they never have to go into a classroom together if they're already doing these things at 20 months old!<
5 comments:
I am glad this was a positive experience for you. It was when Ben had it done as well. How wonderful that you now feel so hopeful. It must be a relief. I can't wait to hear them talk either!
OK Lynn...I am now boo hooing after that song and video. :-) We love you all and ya'll are always in our prayers. Please don't hesitate to let me know if there is anything I can do for you all. I am always here for you....
Guess who? ;-)
That's really funny about the boys and the chair!!! And...I loved the "Spa" party -- with a chocolate fountain. You made some little girls very happy. Praying for you with the boys. Looking for great progress!!
I AM SO GLAD TO HEAR THERE IS HOPE. I AM SURE THE BOYS WILL BE TALKING IN NO TIME. SEEMS THEY ARE PRETTY SMART TO ME. BEFORE YOU KNOW IT YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO KEEP THEM FROM TALKING. THEY DO HAVE STALLWORTH BLOOD IN THEM AFTER ALL!!HAHA! JUST KEEP US INFORMED AND YOU KNOW WE ARE PRAYING FOR ALL OF YOU. HOPE TO SEE YALL SOON!!! LOVE YALL!!
I'm so glad the eval went well. I hope you don't have to wait too long to get the ball rolling and the therapies started. PECS (picture exchange communication system) worked wonders in getting Wes to start talking. He is a real visual learner so once the picture was put with the word, he started talking within the month.
Good luck to your boys!
Post a Comment