Yesterday was the boys first day at preschool. It was a little rough. Blake wanted to be held the whole time, so much so they had to call in reinforcements. Brett whined a lot of the day. His teacher said that was to be expected until he gets used to the routine. That should take a couple of weeks.
Today was a MUCH better day. I sent in their blankies and that seemed to make a huge difference. When Don and I went to pick them up, we watched each of them through the window that each class has. It's funny walking up and seeing all the parents with their noses pressed against the glass! It is so cute watching them with their peers. Blake was sitting in "circle time" with all of his friends, and Brett was standing at a table reading a book with some friends. Blake's teacher said he did awesome and she knows he's going to be a "breeze" once he gets used to the routine. Brett's teacher said he whined until 10:30, but then it was like he all of sudden decided, "Well, I'm not going anywhere, they're not going to let me out, so I may as well enjoy myself." I can't help but think that all this stimulation and interacting with peers is going to do wonders for them. Blake started his evaluation with the speech therapist yesterday and continued it today. Brett started his own evaluation today. I spoke with Brett's occupational therapist today and she is going to start his evaluation soon. I'm sure the same will be true of Blake. I'm praying that our insurance will do the right thing (I know, I must be whacked!) and cover these services for the boys. CCAF (Challenged Child and Friends) is usually able to get our provider to pay-yipee! I know they are up to lots of fun stuff while at school as they've come home with paint-stained hands, yellow paint in their hair, etc. We even have a "getting-to-know-you" project to do over the next couple of weeks. I have enjoyed my mornings with my much neglected daughter and husband. Tay and I went to breakfast yesterday, and today, Don and I went to breakfast. We haven't had a meal alone out to eat together in a long time. It was refreshing and fun. I think this change is going to be really good for ALL of us. It just feels right!
2 comments:
Awesome! I'm sure this will be good for everyone. I'm glad that your boys are adjusting. It is so heartwarming to see our not-typical kids in a really typical setting, participating and just being with everyone else. Way to go boys!
That sounds great!! I know you really need the time alone and with Taylor and Don. I am glad you found a place that seems so good for the boys. Plus they have each other!! That is really good!
Post a Comment