Monday, June 01, 2009

Three!



I can hardly believe I have TWO three year olds and at times I wonder where the last few years have gone. The days seem to go by faster and faster each year. We had their 3 year checkup last week and they are growing beautifully. Blake is always a bit bigger, and this year was no different. He weighed in at 33 pounds and was 3 ft. 2 3/4 in. tall. Brett was 32 pounds, and was 3 ft. 2 1/4 in. tall. Blake has a bit more of a sweet tooth than his brother :o) Next year we'll start the vaccination process again and I was more than relieved to find out that our Dr. is very happy to work with us in doing a delayed schedule. There are some vaccines I'd like to draw titers for, some I'd like to space out more, and she said that was fine. You never know how doctors are going to react and maybe because we're actually dealing with the autism she has more sympathy for us. Whatever the case, I'm just glad we can pace things out and not have to jab them with 6 things all at once. I wish we had never done that to begin with, but I can't go back and re-do things, I can just change what we do in the future. They were to get a Hep A booster, but I chose to wait on that one. They really aren't a high risk category for that anyway. We can get it at any other time.

We have kinda, sorta started potty training. Today I got my waterproof training pants. I couldn't find them in the store, but I found them online. So, we'll start using those tomorrow. It still lets them know they're wet, but it doesn't make a mess everywhere. Are we really going to have a future without diapers? THAT does not seem possible, but hopefully persistence will pay off! Their preschool is even willing to help with it. I am to tell their teacher when we go for open house where they are in their potty-training progress and they'll work with us. She said I can pack 20 changes of cloths and they'll do it! I love these people!

The boys are enjoying the pool and their new playground (thanks to Gram and Pop-Pop). Brett is definitely more of a "fish" than Blake. He even enjoys the slide. They both have awesome life vests I bought at a local marine store. It actually will flip them over on their backs so I don't have to worry about them getting stuck face-down. That is always scary to me because while I am always with them at the pool, sometimes I'm working with one and my eyes may be off the other for oh, say 1% of the time. At least now they won't suck in some water before I get to them. Instead, they'll just lay on their backs and yell! We take our pool safety seriously!

They are doing more and more pretend play with their animals and cars. It's very encouraging to see. They even like to help me Swiffer the floor. In fact, the Swiffer is one of their new favorite toys. Both of them are very into their books as of late as well. I put their crib rails down (yes, they still love their cribs; and no, they haven't started jumping out yet) during the day and they use their little rocking chairs to hop up in bed and read their books. It's really cute to come in their room and find them laying in their beds reading books.

We are looking forward to a slow and playful summer. We have a couple visits from relatives coming up and we can't wait for that! A beach trip is also planned for the summer. I want to have lots of relaxation before August hits. The boys will be starting preschool and Taylor will be starting high school then. WOW! Just WOW!

1 comment:

Jennifer Tijou said...

Wow--you've got some beautiful children-all of them! I know about the pictures, ugh!My own mother is a bit backward with my boys, too-I think perhaps they think too much about "little boys with autism" rather than just "little boys" sometimes. And-potty training!We finally made it at 4-almost 5. There is light at the end of that tunnel, I promise! I will be checking your blog-thanks for commenting on mine, I too look for others with twins of the spectrum--it's a crazy ride!!!