Eric is graduating in a couple weeks. It's hard to believe the little boy I met when he was just the boys' age is going off to college in the fall. I'll never forget the first time I saw him-up on his daddy's shoulder with a baseball cap on backwards. He actually went with Don and I on our first date. We took that date with Eric in mind. We went to the park at the Chattahoochee River and played and fed ducks. Eric loved the ducks. I remember going back to Don's apartment and being promptly introduced to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Power Rangers. There have been ups and downs in our relationship with Eric, probably all of them were NOT of his own making. We've had joy, we've shared tears. And now he's all grown-up! Fully mature, probably not, but well on his way. Now he's off to find that wisdom that only comes with living life on your own. I know he'll have some of the most fun experiences of his single life in the few years to come. I pray that he'll escape some of the mistakes that I made during this age. I pray that he studies hard, plays hard, and prays hard. I hope he finds that special someone that makes his life complete. Maybe make us grandparents in the next 5-10 years, but no sooner than that please!!! Right now he's working hard to finish up high school. He takes his "final" final exams in a couple weeks. He's also attending church by himself and going to a Wednesday night Bible study. I couldn't be happier about that! He's led two fellow classmates to Christ this past week. I'm glad he's figured out he can use his popularity for Christ's gain rather than his own selfish reasons. He'll have to rely on his faith a lot after high school and it's good he's got a good foundation now! Congratulations, Eric! Class of 2009!
Taylor also is finishing up school for the year. Today she has her last "real" day of classes. Next week is just final exams. She has mixed feelings about the year ending. She's looking forward to the fun and relaxation of the summer, but there are also some friends who will not be returning to school next year. Some are leaving to attend private school, and one favorite in particular is moving out of state. On Monday I will go to her school to attend an informational meeting about the transition to high school! What? High school? I can't believe it!
Last week was her annual spring recital. They did Sleepy Beauty this year and Taylor was honored with the role of the Emerald Fairy. She did a beautiful job! I can hardly comprehend when she's dancing that the stunning dancer up there is MY daughter. It's like she transforms from girl to woman when she's on that stage. She had auditions last night for the company and I know she's hoping for Senior Company, the highest level she can achieve at her dance school. She dreams of dance being her career and I definitely believe she has what it takes to make that dream come true!

And this mom has to gulp and fight back tears when she remembers the time that her daughter was the "helpee" and not the "helper":
2 comments:
What a sweet post! Your son sounds like a wonderful young man. Your daughter is so beautiful and graceful. I enjoyed reading about your older kids!
You needn't worry about the kids so much. So long as you raised them to be good people, to know the difference betwixt right and wrong from a fundamental perspective regardless of social convention or current mores then you've done a good job. As the old saying goes, "Be the change you wish to see within your world". The kids shall do fine so long as they remain true to themselves and to what it means to be a Stallworth...stubborness and all.
Post a Comment