This has been a slightly crazy week in our house. I have been to the doctor to have 3 moles biopsied. Not fun, but I'll take it over childbirth any day. She just went very superficial, so as long as nothing is cancerous, I'm done. But, if one of the moles I have isn't basal cell, then it is sure to snow here in GA in the middle of the summer.
The boys went to their DAN doctor yesterday and we loved him. He spent over an hour with us-more than I can say for any other doctor we've been to see about them. He thinks their condition is very mild (more PDD-NOS) and other than not speaking, they seemed age appropriate to him. He wants to start them on the GFCF diet (KNEW that was going to happen), test their gut for yeast (which requires playing in poop and sending the sample off-Yee-Haw), and start them on a couple supplements. One of the supplements is a vitamin with TONS of wonderful things in it for the boys. Only downside of it is that I have to give them 2 tbsp. of it everyday which requires refilling a 5ml syringe 6 times and squirting it in their mouths. Gotta find a larger oral syringe! The other is a supplement that helps neurological development and function. That one is easy, just sprinkle in apple juice or on PB and J and eat!
We also made the journey down to the GFCF mecca of Whole Foods today. I began the casein free part of the diet on the boys this past Friday and as of today, they are gluten free as well. So we are officially GFCF for at least 3 months to see what this diet might do for them. The casein part was easy. They didn't like milk and the only official milk product they enjoyed was yogurt. Of course, you have to read, read, and read labels and make sure milk products aren't being sneaked into anything else. The gluten part will be much more difficult. There is wheat flour in absolutely everyhing. Fortunately WF has a couple of big sections of gluten free foods, many of which are casein free as well. The boys were very patient as I slowly went through the store scrutinizing every label.
So, we're in with both feet now, at least for a few months. This is sure to be a fun, crazy, sometimes stressful ride!
3 comments:
The doctor sounds great! The GFCF diet sounds difficult to maintain... if you do any of your own baking, you can check http://suchtreasures.com/ for recipes. She posts many dairy-free, gluten free recipes there.
I know this is a hard step for you all. I hope you get results from your efforts. I know there are different gluten free flours my cousin uses to make her own breads for the boys, maybe put the breadmaker to use again. But other than that I am clueless. Good luck.
HEY SIS, I SURE HATE THAT I HAD TO MISS THE 4TH CELEBRATION. I HEARD IT WAS FUN. MAYBE NEXT YEAR WE CAN MAKE IT. I AM SO GLAD TO HEAR THAT THINGS ARE GOING GOOD WITH THE BOYS. I SURE PRAY THAT THIS NEW DOCTOR AND NEW DIET WILL DO THE TRICK. I HONESTLY DON'T KNOW HOW YOU DO IT. I FIND IT VERY HARD TO FIND THINGS FOR TY TO EAT. HE LOVES HIS FOOD AND ESPECIALLY BREAD. I'LL BE PRAYING FOR YA. LOVE YALL LOTS. GIVE EVERYONE LOVE FROM US.
Post a Comment