We've been taking a break from the biomedical approach for some time. We definitely had some burn-out going on. But now we're ready to take it on again. This time, we're going in for the kill, in for the knockout!
The boys have been doing great in school. We're still struggling with getting Blake to participate in circle time in the mornings. He does better in the afternoons. Maybe he takes after me and just isn't a morning person. Brett is the social butterfly, but he's still struggling with his speech. He also recently had a strep infection that I believe triggered PANDAS. Their DAN! Dr., Dr. Sloan, said we could test for it, but I didn't see the point considering the fact that Brett had almost every symptom listed. We treated the strep, so the symptoms should (and are) get better.
Because of the sheer quantity of antibiotics the boys have had to be on this winter, we started them on a 6 week course (at least to begin with) of Nystatin today. As most women can testify, antibiotics inevitably cause yeast infections. These infections manifest differently in autistic kids.
We also are putting them back on probiotics, fish oils, and Rx glutathione cream.
We will also be doing some testing this next week. Tomorrow we're taking the boys for a blood draw to test for food allergies/sensitivities. We did GFCF for awhile and didn't see any results. I will like having something that says, "yes your child needs to avoid this" or "yws, they can have that". I don't like going at things blindly. We're also doing an OAT (Organic Acid Test)on the boys. We're hoping these tests will give us a better picture of what we're dealing with, and therefore we'll be better armed to treat it. No more shots in the dark!
We're also doing an autism walk in May, on the boys birthday!!! It's a walk for Autism Speaks. If you want to walk, you can sign up as soon as I create our team. I will put that info. on a new blog post. Please wear blue on Friday, April 2nd-World Autism Day. We need everyone's help bringing awareness to autism!
1 comment:
We are in the same boat at the same time again.. Good luck to the boys and Mom and Dad!
Post a Comment