Tuesday, December 16, 2008

It's been awhile



With the 30 days of Thanks event from last month, it's been awhile since I've updated on the boys progress. Everyday one of them does something new and I always wish I had the time to write everything down, but that rarely happens. I need these updates just as much as anyone else just so I can remember what they did and when. And, to realize just how far they've come.

Occupational therapy and speech are going extremely well. We're going to try to get an audio program going with them just as soon as I can get them to wear headphones. This week in OT we played lots with rocket balloons. I think I love them just as much as the boys. It's really fun to play with them in the 2-story foyer. The OT and I both use hand pumps to blow up the balloons. While we're pumping them, both boys imitate the "huh-huh-huh" sound of the pump. According to the ST, that is GREAT. Kids with apraxia have a very difficult time regulating the muscles for a controlled exhalation, so the fact they are doing it is wonderful. While we were in the foyer playing with them, Brett watched a balloon travel up to the ceiling, then back down to the floor. He then pointed (yes, he finally pointed!) and said "up" and then pointed and said "owwwwn." The OT was very impressed with the point. She said most kids with autism take a LONG time to learn how to point. I was so excited that he was telling us that the balloon went up and down! I could have done a cartwheel! Blake is doing great with his receptive skills. You can ask him for a certain animal, and he'll get it most of the time. He's also VERY close to potty training for poo-poo. He hates having it in his pants. He comes to me whining before he poops and then comes to me SCREAMING when he's done his business. I have started putting him on his potty when he gives me the warning whine. We almost made it today, but he pooped on the way to the potty. Words cannot express how excited I am at the prospect of potty training at least one of the boys, even just with poop. I know the pee potty training with boys can take a good long while. I'm also hoping that Brett will learn from his brother. It is so funny because it always seems like what one boy excels in, the other is lagging. I wonder if someday this will make things easier because the boys will learn from the other. That's what I'm hoping for!

Both boys are becoming big hams. Blake loves when we videotape him and then he gets to see himself on TV. It's quite hysterical the way he shows off. Brett is into belly buttons. So, if you happen to come visit us and he lifts up your shirt, he just wants to see "belly button." They both have also developed big connections to their therapists. They have fits whenever they leave. I kinda have to distract them so the therapists can get out the door. Don is in hog heaven because when he comes up for dinner break, they want to play with him. He'll actually stop eating dinner to do what they want because he's so excited that they finally want to interact with him. We're just hoping that desire gets stronger and stronger for the boys. With autistic kids, personal interaction is where it's at!

1 comment:

M. Christensen said...

Wow, the boys are making great progress! I am so happy and I know you guys are too!!