It's been way too long since I've updated our blog. But, wow, what great things that have transpired since last year. This past January we started working with a fabulous ABA therapist. If I had only known how the boys would grow leaps and bounds with her, I would have hired her a few years ago. In the past 6 months the boys are no longer eating baby food. I cannot explain how liberating it is to not have to walk this aisle in the grocery store anymore. They drink out of open cups. They sit nicely at the table for meals. They drink milk again-something that they wrote off when they were 18 months old. They have been to the dentist. They can request items. Brett is about 90% potty trained. They learned how to swim. The list just goes on and on. My best advice to parents with kids on the spectrum...find a great ABA therapist and NEVER EVER give up! Keep plugging away. Tomorrow we see our vaccine friendly pediatrician for the first time. I've heard wonderful things about her and I'm very excited to meet her. The boys will start their official pre-K year at Challenged Child and Friends in three weeks. I'm so excited to see what this year has in store for them!
Our dear Taylor finished up her Sophomore year in high school. She ended with a 3.5 grade point average and managed to finish two years of math in one year. She attended Prom with her friend, AD.
She passed her driving exam and is an official driver now.
She is enjoying the freedom that brings to her. She has decided to quit ballet which we fully support. It was very difficult trying to balance the dance studio with the demands of theatre at school. They put on the production Grease this year for musical theatre. And it was fabulous!
It was so stressful this past spring that she ended up with Mono. She danced her spring recital with it and then was able to relax the last couple weeks of school. This summer has been all about hanging out with friends and having FUN!!! She even took a trip to TX to see her Uncle Paul and family-SOLO! She is currently looking for a part-time job, preferably at her favorite place...the mall! She grows more independent each day and has proven to be a pretty darned good decision maker! We intend to enjoy her last two years of high school with her. Lord knows how quickly they'll go by!
Eric is a busy college dude! He has his steady girl and has been working at the Mellow Mushroom in Hiram, GA this summer. We are so happy he and Britt came to spend 4th of July with the family this year! It's hard to believe he'll be 21 in less than 5 months. He's returning to Shorter in the fall to begin his Junior year of college. I know he's also looking forward to getting his groove on as a Hawk on the football field!
As for myself, I have been busy starting a special needs ministry at our church. It is my hearts desire to see families of children with special needs be able to come to a place of worship without having to worry that their child is a burden on the staff. The staff at the boys' school was very helpful in giving me ideas for this room. It's all been implemented and we have our volunteers trained and working. Now we need more families to come worship with us! I was also diagnosed with hypothyroidism this year and I'm working to get that regulated. Seems to be the one thing that really runs in my family! We took a family vacation to PCB over spring break this year. Taylor took her friend, Ashley and they had a great time taking in all the "sights" Panama City had to offer. I'm sure it was an experience they'll remember their whole lives!
And, we added a sweet Boston Terrier puppy to our family this year. Her name is Harley and she's just GREAT!
No comments:
Post a Comment